Friday, October 30, 2009

Marilyn Horne: "C is for Cookie"

Over on Twitter, SarahB posted a clip of Renee Fleming on Sesame Street performing a version of "Caro Nome" that used opera to teach children how to count. Jim Henson's shows were rather extraordinary in how they introduced children to all sorts of eclectic performers, especially those from the worlds of opera and Broadway. The show is remarkable in its intelligence and incorporation of music and art in educating children.

I watched Sesame Street when I was really young, but would found myself watching it again when I was a little older and my mother took to babysitting younger neighborhood kids after school. One thing I remember quite vividly was how amused we were by Marilyn Horne's rendition of that perennial favorite, "C is for Cookie":

No comments: