Monday, June 9, 2008

"Ain't It Awful, the Heat?"

I've not felt the urge to blog in this heat, but to seek refuge away from anything that emits heat. I have also been working a lot lately, which is great for the checking account but poor for my blogging time. I do get a vacation soon (when should I take it...and how shall I enjoy it?) so we'll see what that brings...

So yeah, how about this ridiculous weather? I anticipate this sort of streak in mid-July, not now. So I've been going through thinking of all the 'hot' songs my mind can muster. So far in my heat-induced coma, I've thought of "Gonna Be Another Hot Day" from 110 in the Shade, "It's Hot Up Here" from Sunday in the Park With George, "Ain't It Awful, the Heat?" from Street Scene, "Too Darn Hot" from Kiss Me Kate. Any others that fit...?

Though we've known it for weeks, it's now official: Deanna Dunagan plays her final performance as Violet Weston in August: Osage County this coming Sunday, June 15 (and then the Tonys!) so if you miss her performance, don't come crying to me, you've had six months. Instead, enjoy Estelle Parsons - which should prove to be an interesting performance, I've no doubt. Rondi Reed, Jeff Perry and Francis Guinan are also departing the company. I'll be there on the 15th to cheer them on - and also take my best friend to see them in it for an early birthday present.

But before I do that, it's the Theatre World awards tomorrow with my regulars. I cannot wait. I'm off to cool down/melt/self-immolate. Whichever happens first.

2 comments:

Dorian said...

I feel I have the right to complain about the August cast leaving, because I don't move to Massachusetts (and thus, within range of NYC) until, well, until August, actually. At any rate, I, of course, will still go see it. But I'll regret having not seen the original actors.

Esther said...

I know how you feel. It's hard to blog when it's hot.

Dorian, you'll have to let us know what you think of Estelle Parsons. It's a great play, and I think the new cast will be really interesting.

And congratulations on your move to Massachusetts. We'll be neighbors!