Monday, November 16, 2009

"The Sound of Music" original cast television appearances

I'm still reeling from attending the 50th anniversary celebration at Lincoln Center, but before I wrap my head around all that I experienced today, I thought I'd continue The Sound of Music festivities with some choice videos of the original cast.

First up are the Tony-nominated von Trapp children (all seven in Best Featured Actress in a Musical...take that, Billy Elliot) appear on an episode of "What's My Line? during the summer of 1960:



Tony-winner Patricia Neway (not Frances Breeze) and The Sound of Music nuns (including some glorious ladies I met today) perform "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" on Ed Sullivan's Christmas special on December 20, 1959:



And now for a real rarity, Mary Martin accepts her Best Actress in a Musical Tony for show on April 24, 1960 in the Astor Hotel ballroom. The Tony Awards telecast was a simple banquet affair with no major production numbers and an emphasis on the awards being given out. Eddie Albert was the master of ceremonies and the evening's sole entertainment was provided by Meyer Davis and his Orchestra: