Thursday, February 7, 2008

Upcoming Excursions

Today was an eventful day. I worked for 8 1/2 hours; drank a lot of green tea and bought a laser printer (thank God for 50% sales), 1500 pages of blank paper, binders and sheet protectors for my latest project; organizing my vocal scores. My first effort was for the score of 1600 Pennylvania Avenue (from the Philadelphia tryout). Now all I need is a piano... The much-loved (by me) "Duet for One" is a whopping 26 pages long. The Bernstein estate will not permit the original Broadway version of the show to be presented; the Cantata is a concertized revisal which eliminates a great deal of the book with some revision among the musical numbers, dropping the original's "Rehearse" and reinstating the endless "Monroviad." (Bernstein was so disappointed with the show as it played in NY in 1976, he refused to allow the cast album to be recorded, can you believe that? ARGGH!). Speaking of which, the Collegiate Chorale is giving the Cantata its New York premiere on March 31 at Frederick P. Rose Hall, Jazz at Lincoln Center (what a curious name for a venue). I really, really want to go. Baritone Dwayne Croft and soprano Emily Pulley will be singing the roles of the President and First Lady. Anyone else interested? The top tickets are $85, but I plan on aiming a bit lower ($65, 55, 45, 35, 20).

http://collegiatechorale.org/concert_schedule/

Broadway-wise: I've got my season ticket to The 39 Steps on February 24th. I will not be lingering in the city that night, since it's supposed to be Oscar night (oh please, God). Also, I will be attending the March 12th matinee of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof at the Broadhurst. It's going to be exciting as it will mark the first time I've seen James Earl Jones or Phylicia Rashad live in performance. I'm seeing Sunday again as a subscriber on March 9th. But first? Applause this Sunday at the City Center. Hearing how the flu has caused her to miss rehearsal and to lose her singing voice, I hope Christine Ebersole's health will be much improved by then. This, among all the other festivities is going to make for one hell of an exciting spring season of New York theatre.

PS - My script of August: Osage County arrived in the mail today (along with Auntie Mame, Mister Roberts and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?). Huzzah!

1 comment:

Sarah B. Roberts said...

I keep forgetting to check out tickets for the Cantata. Today. I will do it. Let's go.

I'll be expecting a piano recital from you.

You're in a for a treat in seeing Queen Phylicia in person. She's verrrrry regal.