Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Lusty Month of May

Tra la! It's May!
The lusty month of May!
That lovely month when ev'ryone goes
Blissfully astray.

And you know what, Alan Lerner is right on the money. There's something about this month that rejuvenates a person. Obviously, it's the better weather and the move from the dull and grey winter into the explosive fresh colorings of spring. Oh, but it's good to be alive!

While on the topic, I may not particularly care for Camelot, but I do admire the Lerner and Loewe score very much. There are huge book problems which I can't help overlook, and truth be told, I've never been sympathetic toward Guenevere and Lancelot. Sorry, but I'm in Arthur's corner all the way. And someone as likable as he shouldn't be treated the way he is. I know, it's a part of the legend, but doesn't mean I care for how its adapted. That OBC, by the way, is a treasure and should be in everyone's collection. (We won't discuss that lugubrious mess that passes for its film adaptation). You can also catch the show live on PBS on May 8 when it's presented by the NY Philharmonic at Avery Fisher Hall in Lincoln Center. The cast includes Gabriel Byrne, Marin Mazzie, Christopher Lloyd, Nathan Gunn, Stacy Keach, Bobby Steggert, Christopher Sieber and Fran Drescher as Morgan Le Fay (really...?). I'll be watching from home, if at all.

I've also added a poll question. It'll be random, but I'll toss one up there and see what happens.

Happy May Day, everyone!

No comments: