Thursday, May 1, 2008

"What do the Simple Folk Do?"

I know I just espoused my dislike for the book of Camelot, but I have a feeling had I been a theatreogoer in 1961, I would have been entranced by the original production. Richard Burton as Arthur. Julie Andrews as Guenevere, Robert Goulet in his star-making turn as Lancelot (and that glorious baritone stamped forever on "If Ever I Would Leave You"). Also in the cast were Robert Coote, Roddy McDowall and John Cullum in his Broadway debut as Sir Dinadan and Burton's understudy. With a glorious cast with that score (and from what I can tell, glorious scenography), I have a feeling I would have enjoyed the experience immensely. Just try not to be completely overtaken by Burton and Andrews here on "The Ed Sullivan Show", presenting their second act showstopper (in its entirety, imagine trying to do a five minute musical theatre piece on live TV today?)

No comments: