Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Daughter's Tribute

Kitt McDonald Shapiro on her mother, the late, great Eartha Kitt from a 2005 piece for the CBS Sunday Morning show:

"The one thing I always knew about my mother was that she always loved me," said Kitt Shapiro. "And I give her tremendous credit for being able to, throughout our lives, let me know that she always loved me, and that was always unconditional."

It was pure instinct, said Shapiro, that guided her mother.

"She had accomplished so much on her own with no family and nobody there guide her. There's something there. Her name, Eartha, is her given name, and she is of the earth, and she is so much of the earth. She has that richness, and she's sturdy, she's firm. Her name is perfect for her."

1 comment:

Butch Rowley said...

Kitt,
My sincerest heartfelt condolences. My world and the entire world will sparkle less now. I know how much your mom loved you and I know how much you love your mom. You may not remember me, I was a neighbor back in New Milford (circa 1985). I met your mom at a time in my life when I needed a friend and confidant. I quickly understood that she was both to me. Your mom had an awesome way of looking at the world and I know I am a better human being for having known her.
I wish you, C., J. and R. the best.